Cross-border commuters

Cross-border commuters are people who work in Switzerland and live abroad.



Health insurance

Since the entry into force of the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons between Switzerland and the EU, the place of work determines whether a person is covered by health insurance. Cross-border commuters who live in France, Germany, Italy or Austria in particular and work in Switzerland have the right of option with regard to health insurance. They can choose whether to be insured under the health insurance system of their country of residence or in Switzerland in accordance with the KVG (compulsory health care insurance). Once the cross-border commuter has chosen one system, he cannot switch to another health insurance system. The relevant offices in your place of work are responsible, where you can also obtain further information.

The insurance obligation also extends to non-employed family members, provided they are not subject to compulsory insurance in the country of residence. Family members include the spouse as well as children up to the age of 18 and adult dependent children. The insurance begins at the time of taking up gainful employment in Switzerland.

The verification of the insurance obligation is regulated on a cantonal basis in Switzerland.

Each canton is responsible for verifying the insurance obligation for its residents or cross-border commuters. The Gemeinsame Einrichtung KVG assumes this task for the cantons of Aargau, Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Glarus, Uri as well as for the municipalities of Cham, Risch Rotkreuz, Steinhausen and the city of Zug.

Joint institution KVG

List of other cantons

Information sheet on treatment in France in the event of an accident

Merkblatt Behandlungen in Frankreich bei Unfall und Berufskrankheiten (

(only in German and French Language)

Information sheet on treatment in Germany in the event of accidents

Merkblatt Behandlungen in Deutschland bei Unfällen und Berufskrankheit (

(only in German, French and Italian)


Property insurance

As a cross-border commuter you must in principle continue your insurance in your country of residence.


Our consulting is provided according to objective criteria, based on the information provided by associates. Responsibility for the final decision on whether or not to conclude an insurance agreement lies exclusively with the associates themselves.